Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bharat Nirmaan… Is it taking India anywhere??

India Shining!!! Bharat Nirmaan!!! These were the slogans to which; till recently; I regularly fell for. And I believed all these slogans with the heart and soul. Where ever I went I saw prosperity all around me. Roads built, green fields, children running in school uniforms, India doing great in all fields it was in…. nothing actually is bad in India. And India is moving at express pace to get into the league of developed nations.

I was born and brought up with high level bureaucratic officials all around me, in my family and my relatives. I had always seen them working for about 10-12 hours a day. So when ever I was told about the reports of inefficiency and non productiveness about Indian bureaucracy I conveniently used to believe that it is the lower level that does not work, it is the lower staff that is ineffective and uninterested and it was just the politicians that made false promises, but rest all is good.
But recently for some project in my course I went to a village called “Lodhar”. This village is just about 1-1.5 Kms from IIT Kanpur. When I reached there my beliefs were intensified in the growing brand called India. The streets were paved; there was proper drainage system on both sides of the road, electric wires reaching all houses. That village was looking more like a sparsely populated town; instead of a village; and that too a developed town. I also found out that it was declared as Ambedkar Village by UP state government. That is it will be a model village for all other villages in the state. And at macro level it surely looked impressive.
Then I met few people there, ranging from the ex village chief “Pradhan”, to a labour working in some field, to children playing on the village streets. For first five minutes they looked very excited, both about my visit to their homes as well as the system around. But then as we spoke about one topic and the other, striking differences started shaping up. I was told that politicians of all ranks; right from party workers to CM’s to party chief; do visit their villages regularly and make promises to them. But the villagers are so much habituated to that, that they don’t believe a single word said by them. (This was very much on expected lines of my belief).
Then I was told about the other MAJOR issue which I would like to mention here, I was told that the electric poles; about which I was very happy initially; were in place for a long time, but are mostly there for just ornamental purpose, electricity rarely comes. They told me there had been no electricity for even a single minute in past 7 days. Then a very sensitive topic came up; topic of land. I was told that initially they were encouraged to build houses in a particular area near village which was earlier demarcated as pasture land next to the village. But now when they shifted to this place the authorities are reluctant or shall I say, hesitant to legalize that area as a residential area. In this by authorities I mean the likes of District Magistrate and Community Development Officers. They had been regular visitors to the village and even said that they will get the issue done. But then words are just words.
For past few days I had been constantly thinking about this particular village and the attitude of these officers towards this village and their duty in particular. The only word that is residing in my mind is WHY? I was thinking, observing and even discussing about the possible answers to this question.
I figured out that the answer to this question can never be objective or simple; here I am talking about just the answer and not the solution to the problem. I felt that, in the rigid and long bureaucracy like ours, these higher officials are not all that powerful as they look. Even when they have full authority over their department but to move higher up the ladder; they need to have clean unbiased track record. And with India’s mean and corrupt practices being talked around the globe, being productive is the biggest sin for these officers. A top official in a government body said, “To get promotions, one has to stay quiet and not do any thing. As if one tries doing any thing positive, then there are so many vigilance and other probing committees which are ready to go over-time to read between the lines and build issues from nowhere.”
I also felt that though our politicians don’t have much interference on the day to day work of any government body. But they have kept the power to relocate these bureaucratic officials, and we regularly see the politicians use this power with full efficiency, every time when state observes a change in power. The main focus of these politicians is to appease their respective vote banks, their supporters in co-operate firms and also several other activists in other fields, and thus they are more than happy to use their powers if action of any officer does not suit their personal or political agenda.
I also found one more thing, that even when these officers are willing to work for the cause, the department is not willing to sanction adequate funds to them. This hesitation by the department can be due to a lot of reasons from as fundamental as no availability of funds, to differences in priorities between different levels of hierarchy.
I feel that the real change in India or dreams like India Shining or Bharat Nirmaan can come true only when we have a massive change in mindset of our top hierarchy. Things are improving slowly but surely, with “Gen-X” coming into the government system. But with the government structure being so rigid and bulky, we should hope that this generation can sustain its enthusiasm and change the system, instead of system changing them.
(Written 8th March 2009)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

kudos to you for picking up such a sensitive topic..I merrily agree with you that India is on the pave to success and things are slowly but steadily improving here..finally the youth is rising and surely that day will come when they will be unaffected by all the atrocities taking shape in the current system.

Chaitanya Kelkar said...

hey!.. nice post.
I dont kno how much of the youth is actually taking part in government.But whoever goes, I hope is not prey to the beuracracy. I hope they find out ways to change attitutes of the people and keep up the progress.

Its really a tough topic to present. But good that you went to the town, atleast you get to know whats really going on!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Shanky nice post !!!
I agree with you y to bother such villages go to Gurgaon the booming city of India and check out the electricity cut off up there.

They are creating buildings but no infrastructure n all

Anonymous said...

Hey Saini..Nice write-up...Well, I'v also had a very limited exposure of last 8-9 months with "Bharat", or the rural India...But, I'v full confidence in the power of youth and Bharat...We can change the way things have had traditionally been working.. N my confidence is based on the innumerable young people I'v met during these 9 months, who are trying to do their bit in their respective domains(politics, government machinery, NGOs, entrepreneurs, corporates)

N dn't forget, our next horizon of growth has to come from the BIMARU states of India...So just hoping against hopes...

Shashank Saini said...

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments :)

@ Anon...
Can you please identify urself?
I will surly want to know more about ur ideas and NGO u interacted with....

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.